Sunday, March 21, 2010

Alabama's Ghost (1973)

Oh where for art thou Fredric Hobbs? An artist who was at one time a filmmaker, I remember reading about your movies in the book "Nightmare USA"-you did two more art house oriented flicks ("Troika" and "Roseland") before graduating to the horror field with this movie and "Godmonster of Indian Flats." I had heard of "Godmonster", and thought that the premise (a giant Sheep monster) was too ludicrous to pass up on. I still haven't seen it, though your other movies remain rather elusive to find. Well thank the glory of Youtube, which had this movie. Now if only I could figure out what in God's name I just watched.

A Nightclub janitor (Christopher Brooks) goes into a secret room of sorts, and finds the belongings of an old magicians belongings. He decides "Hey, might as well try this stuff on" and viola! He's no longer a mere janitor, he's "Alabama, King of the Cosmos." The movie then becomes a series of events involving ghosts, vampires, blackmail, Nazis, and a whole lot more.

I have no clue as to what it is I just watched. What exactly is "Alabama's Ghost?" Is it a horror movie? A melodrama? A Blaxploitation movie? An art flick? Or is it somebody taking the mickey on conventions and making some sort of horror satire? I can't figure out what it is, except that it feels like something someone from an underground 60's Art House background made a horror movie in the early 70's while on a lot of drugs.

I can't say I hated the movie in any way, but that's because I don't know what to feel. The acting is bad, the plot is...well, it's something, and the movie has no real rhythm. Oh, and the conclusion features an elephant, vampires, a wand zapping people, and...I can't believe this movie.

Seriously, how do you rate a movie like this? Plenty of horror movies are strange, but this movie is one of those strange horror flicks that's in a class of it's own. Fredric Hobbs, I don't know if I should salute you or ask you what drugs you were on while making this movie.

Rating: I Don't Know.

No comments:

Post a Comment