Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blood Oath (2007)

For October, I decided to review three recent releases from Troma. My first pick is David Buchert's by the numbers slasher "Blood Oath", and by what I've seen, it's not a good start.

After a prologue featuring genre favorite Tiffany Shepis and the worst looking decapitation I've ever seen, we get down to business. Long story short: kids go camping in the woods, here about a local legend revolving around a dark incident in the Krupp family, and what to ya know, their son is not only alive, but is a killer, and starts killing said teens played by adults.

If you've seen a slasher movie set in the woods, then you've seen "Blood Oath." Generic as all get out score? Check. Kills that are nothing special? Check.Visual nods to other, better horror movies (here it's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Friday the 13th" and "Just Before Dawn")? Check. Killer whose a Leatherface clone? Check. Stunt casting from genre veterans (in this case, Shepis and Tina Krause)? Check. I think you get the point. This feels like the kind of no-budget slasher movies that polluted Blockbuster and other rental chains back in the mid 2000's instead of the 80's slasher homage it so clearly wants to be.

Look, I like some Troma movies. I like several of the 80's slasher movies. This however, is not one of the watchable Troma movies. This movie is everything you've seen in shitty micro-budget slasher movies and then some, with only a nasty bit nearing the end and a few instances of decent camerawork keeping me from giving it the dreaded "no" rating.

I think I've said all I can about this. There's no reason to see this unless you love slasher movies made for a nothing budget. Everyone else should avoid.

Rating: 1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment